Tuesday, August 26, 2008

All Fired Up

I logged into RuneScape today, more out of boredom than anything, and to my surprise, when scrolling down the quest list, I see a new one. All Fired Up! Well, I thought, anything to give that old skill of firemaking a little kick. So I went with my completion of Priest in Peril and my level 45 firemaking skill to King Roald. He looked over my impressive resume and quickly determined that I was good enough for the job, and told me to go find a Blaze Sharpeye, the head project director of the Wilderness watchtowers. I walked out of Varrock, and, seeing five or so willow logs on the ground, picked them up, figuring, with a firemaking quest, that logs might come in handy.

I went across the stretches separating Morytania from Varrock, then passed under the temple and the River Salve to the other side, where the Burgh de Rott minigame was set up. I saw a player attacking a "Watchman" that, according to him, gave him 17,000 coins. I was excited and stepped up to be next before remembering that I was unarmed. I backed off and looked around me, seeing that there were many people there. I thought to myself, wow! This new quest must be good for it to be so popular. I looked on my minimap and saw that all of the dots there were yellow, not white. I realized that they were non-player characters from Burg de Rott. I had a conversation with one, but he didn't seem to know anything about Blaze Sharpeye, so I moved on. I then thought that maybe he was on the other side of the river, so I crossed back under to have another look.

At first, all that I saw outside the temple was a mysterious-looking monk, who I knew from getting the Devious Minds quest. Then I traveled farther south and spotted a man surrounded by several others. Behind him was an unlit beacon. I soon discovered that this was Blaze, and I talked to him. Everything sounded doable, until Blaze informed me that to light a beacon, you needed twenty logs!He also let me know that I might as well use regular logs for now, although better logs would work better in the future. I sighed, and rather than going to cut down twenty trees at the bank, I instead just went to get my axe, hoping there were trees, as well as a tinderbox, then brought it back and began chopping there. I also banked my willow logs. They'd have to wait for another day.

Unfortunately, many others had the same idea as me, and trees were scarce. I changed worlds a couple times, before finding one with some friendly people. The trees were still the same, but it was more fun. I commented how it was a contest to see "Whose computer was the fastest?" I was doing okay, having amassed 12 logs or so, until I got a Mysterious Old Man. He took me to the pinball arena, where I ran around and tagged all the right pillars, then Flip and Tilt, the bumper trolls, let me leave. I was rewarded with five noted rubies, which made it worth the while. And besides, while I was gone, everyone else cleared out, leaving me and the trees alone. Another guy came, but there were enough for the both of us. I soon gathered the twenty required logs, and returned to Blaze. I lit the beacon and spoke with him. He was satisfied with my "technique" and told me to light the fire near the Rag and Bone Man's Hovel. I know the general location of that because of my previous questing, but I returned to the grind and quickly gathered the required twenty logs. With that, I set off to Squire Fyre and the second beacon.

I went up to the Rag and Bone Man's house, but saw no beacon there, so I turned to my world map for help. I glanced back to where Blaze had been stationed, and saw that the tower was marked on the map. I looked for other such markings and found a line traveling across Wilderness five or so and ending at the River Lum near Edgeville. I traveled to the second beacon and lit it, then had a short conversation with Miss Fyre. She told me that she loved the sight of the flame and would stare all day if she wasn't payed to watch the horizon. I was then reminded to return to Blaze, so I did with haste. As I arrived, I saw that the flame was dwindling, so I asked Blaze what I could do. It occurred to me to ask him if he had his own logs I could use, but another opportunity didn't come up, so I cut five logs, topped off the fire, and was sent back with much news to report to King Roald.

Thankfully, King Roald, although he complained about the days when adventurers were satisfied with a job well done, rewarded me with 20,000 coins, plus an extra 5,500 experience in the Firemaking Skill. I was pleased to be able to access the All Fired Up minigame, which I probably won't play for a very long time (at least until my brother does the quest... If he ever raises Firemaking.) and another quest point. This quest brought my Firemaking up to 46 and my total to 1086. It also gave me my rubies and my gold, for a total of 1082k gp and 18 rubies, after selling most of them.

1 comment:

Jaguar said...

That's a really short quest... Nice reward too. Too bad I don't have the Firemaking, and never will :P.